2017 is our 100 year anniversary and, sadly, when an unknown assailant burned an occupant and the porch entrance one night.
1859 (Arcata population 500) a women's sewing circle raised funds for the construction of a Presbyterian Church. Through local pledges, contributions from miners (Hoopa, Weitchpec, Sawyers Bar) they obtained $600 in gold dust (a common medium of exchange) and the church was dedicated March 28, 1861. It occupied one-eighth block at 11th and G street.
1913 (Arcata population 1200), Reverend Hessel, felt the community needed a recreation center. A two story social center was built facing G Street right next to the original church with a floating wood floor on the second level. This was Arcata's first gym.
1916 the original church structure was in such poor repair it was torn down and replaced. The project was complete in May 1917. The original bell, however, still rings in the bell tower to this day. The new imposing structure (now standing) takes up more ground space than the orginial church: 112 feet along G street by 68 feet along 11th Street.
The only significant change made to the present sanctuary is the 1941 addition of the stained glass window of Jesus as the Good Shepherd that commands the room to this day.